Friday, December 19, 2008

Hum - Fillet Show *plus b-sides and rarities


In honor of Hum's upcoming New Years Eve and New Years Day shows at the Double Door in Chicago I'm gonna post their virtually unknown first album. I only very recently found out about these shows and tried to get tickets but of course, to no avail. This album is also another recent discovery. I've known about it for a while now but only acquired it as of late. I think the first thing you'll notice right off the bat is some one else takes over lead vocal duties other than Matt Talbot on a couple songs. Those also tend to be the songs that sound least like what people came to recognize as Hum's sound. Also, the lush drone, expansive song writing and almost metal-like wallop is traded in for more of a poppy, stripped down indie-punk sound more similar to that of their neighbors in the Poster Children (who will show up on here eventually). I'm very glad they developed the way they did. This is by no means as essential as "Electra 2000" is, that being the first album from the "quintessential" line up. This is however kind of a neat glimpse into where this band started out if you are a fan and a nerd like myself. 


Also, I'm gonna include the most relevant b-sides and rarities I acquired from h-u-m.net. If you're a fan and haven't ever checked that site out, do so. From what i can tell it's a fairly well maintained fan site. There are some full demos, videos and wallpapers for download and other info that might be worth a look.


For your viewing pleasure we have a video for "The Pod". The first song off their major label debut "You'd Prefer An Astronaut". Shit, I didn't even know a video for this song existed!


If you are one of the lucky ones who gets to see this on New Years...bite me. (I remember seeing this 120 Minutes and being amazed by their drummer. He hits hard as hell!!!)

11 comments:

  1. Man I have wanted to hear "Fillet Show" for years now! Man I can't wait to give it a listen!-jake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fillet show must be the hardest to find album on the net...Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where can I find it please?! Emails anyone? jas-loves-mcr@hotmail.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where can I buy this album please? I've tried ebay, amazon, play.com, HMV, asda, tesco? I need somewhere in England! Please please help me, E-mail this address please! jas-loves-mcr@hotmail.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. My gf fucking LOVES Hum... thank you sir, i shall definitely get some booty tonight for getting these for her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Duuuuuude. Thank you very much for posting Fillet Show and the B-sides. Been looking for these for awhile now. Very cool of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.mediafire.com/?o8l9txq8lwh273a

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll never find this disc; I've been looking for years. Thanks for posting this, man.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found a nearly mint copy of Fillet Show in a Tennessee record store about 12 years ago. Cost me $4.00. Been debating uploading WAV files of it to the web for a long time now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you so much friend. it's good to know that there's still some people that like the fantastic indie/alternative rock of the 90's. goodbye.

    sincerely leo.

    ReplyDelete